How do I get an internship or a job in banking

Greetings,

How can I land a job in equity research or trading/investment banking? I’m currently doing my master degree in finance but it feels hard to even get an internship at a bank.

Any tips appreciated

Best regards
/Wilmer

Finance is definitely a tricky industry to break into without prior experience. To land jobs at your bulge brackets your best chance is through getting a return offer from a summer or winter internship program as the amount of offers they give to external applicants is quite low.

To land these internships (as they can be quite competitive), you often need to have prior experience at a boutique firm (ideally in an IB role, but I’ve heard general financial/strategy analyst roles also can make your resume stand out). To get these roles you often need to apply directly, join an internship cohort (if they offer one), or even sometimes cold email.

From what I have heard, if you are starting with zero experience, going for more general roles in corporate such as big 4 accounting (such as audit) can go a long way in getting your foot in the door and may lead to something bigger later on.

Cool man, basically done the 4 accounting step already and done internships as well but I think I’l try and connect through my uni or someway. Thanks!