I broke into investment banking.. ask me anything

Hi,

I’m just your basic finance bro, graduated last year from an Australian university with a comlaw degree and broke into investment banking at a bulge bracket firm.

In my spare time I love running and playing sport with friends.

Breaking into investment banking was not an easy feat, and I definitely struggled throughout the whole process. Because of that, I now try to help students learn how to balance work, uni, and stay healthy all while chasing a high earning career.

I’ll try my best to answer any questions anyone has around finance, university, or anything else.

I hope this post encourages other graduates from other industries to help students navigate this stressful period of their lives!

4 Likes

How did you meet/network with the right people to land an IB interview?

1 Like

Networking is a really effective way to get your resume pushed up in front of a recruiter. I basically just sent out a bunch of LinkedIn cold DMs for coffee chats. I’d aim to have at least 1 conversation with an analyst from each firm I was applying for.

Make sure not to overdo this tho, you don’t want to come off as too needy and message the entire firm. Be selective with who you reach out to, and try to foster a good relationship!

1 Like

I’m pretty bad at maths, is it still possible to get a role in finance?

1 Like

Yes ofc! Most of the maths we do are algebra and statistics. The difficulty comes more from the economic understanding behind what you are doing, but the actual maths behind the financial calculations you need to make are not difficult.

It is however recommended that you take a finance subject in university (if you aren’t studying a degree in finance) to get a better understanding of the maths required.

1 Like

How do you fit in exercise and personal health around long working hours and unpredictable schedules?

It definitely isn’t easy. Mornings might be your best bet, so make sure to sleep as early as possible. Some colleagues fit in gym sessions when periods are quieter around lunch or dinner, but definitely gauge it with the team.

1 Like