Is there anyone who has a masters in geology at university or affiliated? Because I'm looking for someone who could give me some advice. Indeed, every time I've tried to apply for a job, I've always tried to adapt my CV to the advert, but the returns are

Is there anyone who has a masters in geology at university or affiliated? Because I’m looking for someone who could give me some advice.
Indeed, every time I’ve tried to apply for a job, I’ve always tried to adapt my CV to the advert, but the returns are the same(negative).

1 Like

Hey!

If you aren’t getting interviews it usually comes down to 3 things:

1. You are not the right fit for the role
  2. Your CV isn’t tailored well enough
  3. Other applicants are more competitive than you

In regards to the first point, this mainly relates to your degree and level of experience, and how relevant it is to the role you are applying for. Are you applying out of your industry? If so, are employers looking for people with your degree? If not, you might need to build up relevant experience or apply for less sought after roles.

In regards to the second point, happy to look over your resume and give any quick pointers! Feel free to send a copy over to christian.huang@prosple.com, and let me know what industry/role you are applying for!

The third point is the hardest to manage without building up the experience to become a more competitive candidate. Often times, this means you’ll have to apply for more entry level or less competitive roles. The employment market is really tough right now, so a lot of experienced individuals are accepting lower level jobs. So generally just aim to submit as many high quality apps as you can to maximise your chances of at least one of them landing!

Happy to answer any Qs you have!

Hey, just had a look through your CV and have the following thoughts:

I think one of the largest contributing reasons that you’re finding difficulty is the fact that you aren’t based in the countries you are applying for. Can’t speak too much for France or Canada, but in Australia, firms do usually prefer individuals who have Australian citizenship or permanent residency. I had a quick look and our biggest mining companies (BHP and Rio Tinto) do accept students with valid working visas, which is promising for you, but the combination of strong Australian candidates and potential difficulty around hiring international workers is definitely harming your chances of securing a job.

In terms of quick CV pointers:

1. Formatting - You can definitely fit more in your CV if you make the font smaller and reduce the line spacing
  2. Summary - I’d argue the relevance of a “Summary” in your resume, but if you don’t have much other relevant points I don’t mind the inclusion of it
  3. Dot points - One of your biggest areas of improvement is definitely within the dot points you have under your main experiences. For these, you want to be action and impact orientated and follow a structure such as Google’s XYZ template. This means quantifying your impact where possible and including stronger action verbs at the start of your points.
  4. Extracurriculars/Projects - If you don’t have an extensive list of professional experiences, generally you would want to make this up by having a larger number of extracurriculars or personal projects in the relevant field. This is important to show a recruiter that you really are passionate about this space and have committed time and energy towards exploring it more / developing your own skillset within this space. I would consider including fleshed out examples in this category and linking it back to the role you are applying for
  5. Another formatting point - You could definitely fit education, experience, skills, summary and extracurriculars all in the first page and I recommend you do so

If it’s worth anything, you could consider asking for feedback on your application when they don’t progress any further.